Frequently Asked Questions
Given below are the top answers to questions we’re often asked. If you have just started using your Sat Nav system you’ll find some good hints & tips here as well as in our member forums.
- What is a POI or Point Of Interest file?
- A 'POI' or Point Of Interest is a tiny file for your Satellite Navigation system that can guide you to a very specific spot anywhere on the map. POI Genie lets you create your own custom POI files – including branding them with your own company logo.
- Can I use POI Genie with my device?
- POI Genie can produce custom POI files for most popular satellite navigation systems including TomTom, Garmin, Magellan and NavMan. If we do not appear to currently support your device please use our contact form to get in touch and let us know – we're adding new models all the time & will let you know when we add yours.
- How do I give the POI files I have created to my customers?
- The POI file created by POI Genie is a .zip file that you can save to your desktop. You can then distribute this to your customers as an email attachment or publish it on your website. If it is a business POI you can also publish it to our member file area.
- Where can I get Garmin POI Loader?
POI Loader is software from Garmin that's used to load custom points of interest into many of their newer GPS models. You can download it (free) from the Garmin website from a link on this page:
Basic steps for loading POI files are as follows:
- download POI loader from Garmin's web site
- install POI loader on your computer
- open the .ZIP file(s) you downloaded from POI Genie and copy the .CSV file(s) inside to a new directory on your computer
- connect your GPS to your computer
- start POI Loader and select the directory that contains the .CSV file(s)
- follow the on-screen prompts (default choices should work just fine), and POI Loader will transfer the locations to your GPS
- Can anyone download the collection of free POI files?
- YES! – Absolutely. We have probably the largest collection of FREE poi files available. They are constantly being updated & we are always on the look out for new and interesting locations to add to our database. We always encourage you to join of course as you then get access to our unique POI Creator and the speed camera location updates.